The other day, Jane Parks-McKay put on a pot of water to boil macaroni. She lit the flame, then noticed some grease ringing the burner.

An idea popped into her head that seemed perfectly sensible in the moment. She got a wad of paper towels coated with vinegar and started cleaning, with the flame still burning. It wasn’t until she almost set the kitchen on fire that another thought, fortunately, popped into her head: water.

Parks-McKay, 63, says blips in judgment are regular hazards of everyday life ever since she suffered a mild brain injury when she whacked her head on the door frame of an SUV in December.

Read more here.